Update on the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse:
Background – The Child Migration Programmes saw thousands of children permanently migrated to parts of the British Empire by various institutions in England and Wales, with the approval of the British Government. In 2010, the Government issued an apology for its role in the Child Migration Programmes.
- Part One of the Inquiry heard from former child migrants who reported that they experienced sexual abuse in relation to their migration.
- Part Two of the Inquiry’s public hearings takes place between 10th-26th July.
- Government, public authorities, private, and charitable institutions will be asked to provide evidence on whether they took sufficient care to protect children they sent, or placed abroad.
- The public hearings are about examining institutional failures by organisations in England and Wales.
- An Inquiry Seminar: held to gather views and information for consideration.
- It will also examine: Rapid Evidence Assessment: What can be learnt from other jurisdictions about preventing and responding to child sexual abuse.
- The Seminar will also hear from members of the Inquiry’s Victims and Survivors Forum.
What’s the Truth Project About?
The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse offered an unprecedented opportunity to examine the extent to which institutions and organisations in England and Wales have taken seriously their duty to protect children from sexual abuse.
The Inquiry’s Truth Project provided an opportunity for individuals to share their experience and views with the Inquiry in a safe and confidential way. Many victims and survivors have already taken part in the Truth Project and with their consent, some of their experiences have been summarised in the Inquiry’s first publication.
- IICSA Fact Sheet
- General information
- Private Sessions
- Sharing Your Experience
- After Sharing Your Experience
- The Inquiry’s newsletter May 2017
For further information:
- Call IICSA’s Information line on 0800 917 1000
- Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write to PO Box 72289, London, SW1P 9LF and pay for postage
- Visit IICSA on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IICSATruthProject/